|The Town of Gnoien, with about
4.000 inhabitants, is a typical smallholding farmers-town with old buildings, a main
street and narrow cobble-paved streets. All side streets are arranged rectangular in a
lattice structure, as opposed to other towns of the same age.
Starting in 1990, the whole town centre is being carefully restored Ė itís worth a walk at every visit.
|Gnoien is resting inside the crescent
of the river Warbel, which has shaped this beautiful landscape.
From Gnoien, located at the northern border of "Mecklenburg Switzerland", you have excellent possibilities to get to know the country and the people.
Our town is situated directly
on the B 110 federal road, leading from Rostock to the Isle
of Usedom. Furthermore, our town is
crossed by the 23 and 21 country roads, leading to Teterow, the centre of Mecklenburg-West
Pomerania and, via the health
resort of Bad Suelze, have a direct
connection to the Darss Peninsula on the Baltic
With 40 kilometres distance to the Hanseatic town of Rostock, we offer tranquillity and quietness in natural surroundings. You will be tempted by small holiday apartments, riding farms and holiday on the farm.
The town of Gnoien is nicknamed "Warbeltown" after the river, which circumvents the town and borders it on three sides.Calm trails leading across eleven bridges attract the residents of Gnoien as well as visitors from outside to walk through this area of most delightful scenery.
In case the visitor approaches the
"Warbel-town" from Teterow, St. Mary church, visible over a long distance, together with the water tower presents a spectacle of its own kind. On his tour from Teterow, the
attentive traveller will recognise two towers at the first glance.
Continuing the journey, the water tower seems to be walking and passing by the church tower. But everything is all right: There are no "walking" towers in Gnoien. Everything is solidly in place. The church has been standing on the same spot since 1230, and the water tower, at any rate, since 1913.
The oldest document, mentioning the independent municipality of Gnoien dates from 1257. The small town reached its peak through flourishing commerce and trade. "Via regia", an old trade route, coming from Demmin and Rostock, brought a broad range of goods for sale into the town. Men in arms escorting the traders bore the Gnoien coat of arms.
The Gnoien coat of arms is divided lengthways and depicts half a bullís head and half a lily. A three-leafed clover grows out of the lily. They are symbols of the Mecklenburg country on the one hand, mother Mary of the biblical history on the other hand.†
Today the coat of arms can be seen at the
front of the town hall.
The town hall has been newly erected in 1898. This was done by reconstruction the old building, which had been destroyed by fire in 1551. But after a short while already it became the laughing stock of the whole neighbourhood. When it rained, the writerís ink would smudge on the paper, and the townsmen would not dare enter the building fearing its collapse.
|Behind the town hall you can see the former "stock exchange", which today is the oldest building in the town. The building commemorates the time of the middle ages, when small coins were minted in Gnoien. As mentioned in documents, at around 1570 a delicious beer was brewed in the town. Even today, hops grow in some garden hedges at the "Hoppenhof".|
|Travellers following the main street towards Dargun will come to a popular day trip destination of the "Arbel town". It is a Dutch wind mill erected in 1894. Its wings have been turning until 1956.|
|Now that the wind mill was renovated and rebuilt, the landlady offers food and drink to her visitors in a cosy guestroom. Every year, shortly before the school summer holidays, the "mill festival" takes place at the foot of the building. This is the occasion for local artists and craftsmen, folklore groups and womanís workshops to revive old Mecklenburg customs and traditions.|